Book Review: Fire (The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy #2) by Kristin Cashore

Summary:
It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. The young King Nash clings to his throne while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him.  The mountains and forests are filled with spies and thieves and lawless men.

This is where Fire lives.  With a wild, irrestible appearance and hair the color of flame, Fire is the last remaining human monster.  Equally hated and adored, she has the unique ability to control minds, but she guards her power, unwilling to steal the secrets of innocent people.  Especially when she has so many of her own.

Then Prince brigan comes to bring her to King City.  The royal family needs her help to uncover the plot against the king.  Far away from home, Fire begins to realize there's more to her power than she ever dreamed.  Her power could save the kingdom. 
If only she weren't afraid of becoming the monster her father was.

Review:
Fire is the companion novel to Graceling.  Set in the Dells, which is across the mountains from the seven kingdoms features in Graceling, Fire takes place thirty-odd years before Graceling.  There is only one crossover character between the two novels, and I won't spill the beans who it is.  Let's just say that you should definitely read Graceling first...

I love Kristin Cashore's fantasy world.  It is the most unique, creative world I have ever been immersed in.  I respected and pitied Fire.  She is both loved and hated, but most of all she is lonely.  She is as much as a fighter as Katniss from The Hunger Games but is afraid to make herself vulnerable to love.  Her struggle to reconcile her heart with her survival instincts is powerful and captivating.

I was not a big fantasy reader until I read The Hunger Games.  Reading that series has opened up a whole new world of reading for me.  You can probably tell how much I love The Hunger Games based on how often I mention the books in my reviews.  In fact, Natalie coined the phrase "stalker-worthy" based on our thoughts and conversations about The Hunger Games.  However, I have to say that I love Kristin Cashore's work just as much as Suzanne Collins'.  Boy, I didn't expect to ever say anything like that!

Just One Gripe:
At times Fire's romantic relationship felt a little contrived.

The Best Thing About This Book:
The setting and imagery.

Appropriate for a younger audience:
Yes; like Graceling, there are a couple of PG-13 scenes but on the whole it's pretty clean.


Score:
Characters:  5/5
Plot:  5/5
Setting/Imagery:  5/5
Originality:  5/5
Ending:  5/5
Total Score:  25/25






Read First:


4 comments:

  1. I really like Graceling but Fire was just awesome for me. I just got so caught up in this world and the old fashioned love. I really wish she would do an actual 2nd book for both Fire and Graceling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, me too! I love the way she writes. How do authors come up with these fantastic ideas? I mean, Cashore has created a whole new world! I'm so excited for Bitterblue but want to hear more about Katsa and Fire too...maybe someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin Cashore is a GODDESS!!!! I *LOVED* her 1st novel Graceling and I haven't read Fire yet because I've been so busy but I really want to. I can't wait until Bitterblue is out. Not only is she a great writer, but she's a great PERSON (Kristin). Have you seen her blog? She's SO HONEST and HUMBLE!!! She doubts her writing all the time and isn't arrogant... she is my favorite author of all time. =) SO glad that FIRE lived up to Graceling for you.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen her blog yet but will check it out. That's awesome that she's such a good person! You need to go read Fire immediately---it was so good!!

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!