Book Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Summary:
Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Katniss' sister is chosen by lottery, Katniss steps up to go in her place.

Review:
Well this book is as different from Collins' Gregor the Overlander series as it could be.  While the Gregor books were simply good, The Hunger Games is outstanding.  There is constant action as Katniss is literally fighting for her life most of the book.  The first time I read this book, I thought it was a sort of spoof on Survivor.  It is kind of like Survivor, except it is a fight to the death.  I read this book through in one sitting, forgoing food and water to keep reading!  I was dismayed to find that it is part of a trilogy and have been anxiously awaiting subsequent books in the trilogy to find out how it ends.  For those looking for love or romance, there is very little of that in this book.  This is something men would like as much as women, due to the lack of emotions beyond those of fear, determination, and survival against all odds.  In fact, my husband loved this book and he is not a reader.

Just One Gripe:
The constant lack of food and search for food made me hungry.

The Best Thing About This Book:
The plot!

Appropriate for a younger audience:
Yes


Score:
Characters:  5/5
Plot:  5/5
Setting/Imagery:  5/5
Originality:  5/5
Ending:  5/5
Total Score:  25/25





 Also Recommended:

5 comments:

  1. I ABSOLUTELY loved this book! Best book in the universe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I did like the book more so than the Twilight series. Bella was a little to clumsy for me while Katniss was a true fighter and survivor. I found the reading sometimes to be quite grueling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More than Twilight? Ooooh, you better not let Natalie hear you say that!
    I agree though, that The Hunger Games is one of the best books I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HATED Twilight. No offense.. But I think I got into them because Edward was good looking. When I actually read the first two books I got bored and didn't get into them as well as the Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much better than Twilight...by far.

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!