Book Review: Unlovable (Port Fare Series #1) by Sherry Gammon

Summary: 
Seventeen year-old Maggie Brown is truly the poster child for Heroin Chic, complete with her jutting bones and her dark-ringed eyes. She’s struggling with her growing feelings for the new guy at school, Seth Prescott, and fears he is just another person who will let her down, like everyone in her life has done thus far.
Seth Prescott is an undercover cop assigned to Port Fare High, and despite his job, he’s developed strong feelings for Maggie. Seth’s working tirelessly to flush out the sadistic heroin peddlers that have invaded the small town of Port Fare, New York, while Maggie fights to stay alive as the search turns deadly.
Seth and Maggie’s romantic journey is one of humor, heartbreak and self-discovery as their world is about to change forever.
Sherry Gammon is a member of Goodread's Clean Romance Group. 


Release Date:  January 19, 2011
Age Group: Young Adult
Publisher: Wordpainting Unlimited
Source: Review copy from author

Review:
Unlovable is billed as a clean YA romance.  I like clean stories so I agreed to read it and ended up liking the book despite some concerns.  


I liked Maggie and felt so badly for her.  She is literally living hand-to-mouth, and is slowly starving to death.  Her abusive, alcoholic mother drinks their money away, and Maggie often goes hungry.  She is teased mercilessly by the popular girls at school and has very poor self-esteem.  Despite these huge problems, she manages to do well in school and cares for her mother without complaint.

Seth is an undercover cop, unbeknownst to Maggie, and has a big crush on her.  He doesn't know that Maggie feels the same way, and when Maggie is targeted by drug dealers, he and Maggie start spending time together.  Seth takes it on himself to keep Maggie safe, and she can't figure out why the most sought-after boy in school has suddenly taken an interest in her.

Unlovable is a love story, but its also a story about abuse and addiction.  I enjoyed this aspect of the story and thought it was very well done.  My main concern with the book is the fact that Maggie is under eighteen and Seth is not.  I did not like that part of their relationship and the fact that Seth seemed to have no qualms about falling in love with an underage girl did not endear him to me.  It was never addressed, except as a joke in one scene, and all I could think about is how much trouble Seth would/should have gotten in as an undercover cop starting up a relationship with a student.  Now, we have previously established on this blog that I am a prude (see the post here) but this really bothered me.  It bothered me enough to keep me from really falling in love with this story (which I think I would have if the characters were closer in age).

Overall, I thought Unlovable was a good read.  I liked the writing and would definitely read more from Sherry Gammon.  If underage relationships don't bother you, then I would recommend this book.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I appreciate you taking the time to review my novel. I understand about the under 18 thing, though to defend Seth;} she does turn 18 very quickly in the story, and there is no sex! Thanks again! We authors really appreciate you bloggers so very much!
    Best wishes, sherry gammon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't think the underage is such a big issue as you present it; it actually gives the story more of a real touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very good book. I loved how it showed that love is not about what is on the outside, but is what is on the inside that counts. I felt so bad for Maggie, I felt like I could actually feel the sadness and loneliness that she was feeling by the way the author described it and I wanted to help her. Also when she was happy, I was happy for her, and found myself smiling and crying throughout the story. I also loved the characters and the bonds between them all. It really was a great book with a great ending.

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!