Book Review: Something Blue (Darcy and Rachel #2) by Emily Giffin

Summary: 
Following the smash hit SOMETHING BORROWED comes story of betrayal, redemption, and forgiveness. Darcy Rhone has always been able to rely on a few things: Her beauty and charm.  Her fiance, Dex. Her lifelong best friend, Rachel.  She never needed anything else. Or so she thinks until Dex calls off their dream wedding and she uncovers the ultimate betrayal. Blaming everyone but herself, Darcy flees to London and attempts to re-create her glamorous life on a new continent. But to her dismay, she discovers that her tried-and-true tricks no longer apply--and that her luck has finally expired. It is only then that she can begin her journey toward redemption, forgiveness, and true love. 

Release Date: March 21, 2006
Age Group:  Adult
Publisher:  St Martin's Griffin
Source: Library

Review:
I loved the first book in this duet, Something Borrowed (read my review here), and spent weeks on the library's waiting list for Something Blue.  I confess that the only reason I decided to read Something Blue was that I wanted more of Dex and Rachel, even if it was just a glimpse through Darcy's perspective.  I did not like Darcy in the first book and found myself rejoicing in her bad fortune.  I thought Darcy was a spoiled, selfish brat who deserved everything she got.  I know that's mean of me, but it's true.

Because of these feelings, I did not have high expectations for Something Blue.  I read it only to get a sort of epilogue to Dex and Rachel's happily ever after.  And for the first hundred or so pages, seeing Dex and Rachel together was the only thing I liked about the book.  Darcy was being her usual spoiled self, and I was feeling absolutely no empathy for her.  But, then, something changed.  Darcy had an awakening of sorts, and started to grow up.  You know how much I like character growth, and Something Blue had it in spades.  

One thing I really liked about Something Borrowed was the way Giffin writes the dialogue, and Something Blue employed the same principle of not writing all of the dialogue out verbatim.  (Does someone know the technical term for this?)  This kind of writing made the book read quickly, and I just could not put either of these books down.  Something Blue has a very concrete ending, which I love, along with an epilogue where we get to see all of the characters one last time.  I loved the resolution to the story and was left feeling very satisfied with this two-book series.

I would recommend Something Borrowed and Something Blue to fans of contemporary fiction and women's fiction.  They really were great reads!


2 comments:

  1. I can no idea that there was a companion novel to "Something Borrowed". Since I have way too many books in my pile waiting to be read, I put the movie on hold. If I'm still interested, I may pick up the books as well. Thanks for the review, Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful designed blog. I really like your blog. Well organized. Love your header. Come visit me over at Livre De Amour-Books of Love. New follower.

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!