Book Review: The Moon and The Tide (Marina's Tales #2) by Derrolyn Anderson



Summary: 
The Moon And The Tide is book # 2 in the Marina's Tales series.
Just when things seem to be all figured out, Marina discovers that there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than she ever imagined. When a terrible accident exposes her secret, she discovers that her whole life has been one big lie, and has to cope with more than one kind of betrayal.
A dangerous enemy arrives on the scene, putting her bravery to the test and forcing her to use all of her new-found talents to protect her family. Will good win out over evil? Can love triumph over jealousy?
 
Release Date: March 28, 2011
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Review copy from author
Other Books in the Series: Between the Land and the Sea

Review:
So, I have to start this review by saying that I don't like this cover at all.  In fact, I'm glad that I did not see the cover before I started reading the book because I think that seeing the cover would have been a real deterrent for me.  I liked the cover for book one, but Marina just looks shocked here, and why does Ethan's skin look so gray?  It looks like he's in black and white while she's in color.  My thoughts on the cover don't match my thoughts on the book at all.  Please don't judge this book by its cover, because it really was a good read.

I moved right from book one, Between the Land and the Sea, to book two, The Moon and the Tide.  The sneak peek of book two at the end of book one left me wanting more and I couldn't wait to find out what happens next to Marina and the gang.  The prologue to The Moon and the Tide was very intriguing, and I found myself wanting to read quickly to find out how the events in the prologue would eventually come to fruition.   I had suspected that there was more than meets the eye to Evie for a while, and felt justified in my suspicion of her once I read about her true involvement in Marina's life.

My only complaint about book one was the focus on fashion.  I think I was mostly jealous of Marina with all of her beautiful designer clothes, shoes, and handbags.  There was still a focus on fashion in The Moon and the Tide, but it was targeted towards Cruz and his budding design career.  I like Cruz as a character and enjoyed this aspect of the story.  I also liked reading about Marina's painting.  I enjoyed seeing that side of her and thought it added depth to her character. 

I really wish that Ethan would not have been so clingy and possessive.  He knows that Marina is not a normal girl, and he should not expect a normal teen relationship from her.  I didn't like that he was not more supportive of her throughout most of the book.  His behavior is a common thing to expect from boyfriends in YA literature, and it felt formulaic.  Another thing that bothered me were Marina's poor decisions, which put her in danger repeatedly throughout the book.  She continually ignored the input of everyone around her, who were trying to keep her safe, and did what she wanted to do.  Just when I thought I couldn't take any more of her willful stubbornness, she started to grow and change.


Overall, I enjoyed The Moon and the Tide and will definitely be looking forward to the next book in the series.

  

1 comment:

  1. THE MOON AND THE TIDE definitely has more of a thriller component to the first book and it is rather exciting. My heart was beating fast in more than one instance!

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!