Book Review: Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

Summary: 
'As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me ...' Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love - all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story. Welcome to Christine's life.

Release Date: June 14, 2011
Age Group:  Adult
Publisher:  Harper
Source:  Library

Review:
Every once in a while, I'm reading a book I really like and I do something bad: I cheat.  I get to where I know I won't have the time to finish the book that day, and I want to know the ending so badly I just can't wait, so I skip ahead and read the end of the book.  I know, I know, it's a terrible thing to do!

I got 180 pages in to Before I Go To Sleep (over halfway through) and I just had to know how the story ended.  I knew my baby was going to wake up from her nap soon, and I also knew I couldn't wait until the next day to find out what happens to Christine.  So, I skipped ahead 150 pages and read the last 40 pages of the book.  And all I can say is that I really cheated myself.  Now that I know what happens, I'm not going to go back and read what I skipped, and I really missed out.  This book was so good...such a great psychological thriller.  It kept me guessing the whole way through. 

The book alternates between Christine's present day life and her journal entries.  This alternation keeps the story moving quickly, even though there is a slightly frustrating (for the reader, and especially for Christine) "Groundhog Day" effect with how Christine wakes up every morning with no memory.  She has to learn that she is in her forties and married every single day.  She doesn't know her husband most days and feels totally alone and lost.  This premise was so unique and so well-executed, it made for a great read.  

I would recommend this book to just about anyone.  Just don't get impatient and cheat yourself out of a great read like I did!

Score: DID NOT FINISH (because I cheated myself out of finishing)



4 comments:

  1. Awe, Kelli. I will make sure to make your tale as a cautionary one, to ensure I never book cheat. But that is truly the mark of a dang good book if you can't wait to find out what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I tend do that with my mysteries. I only peak to see who the killer is but then go back to the beginning.

    I've read a lot of great things about this book. I'm always on the look for a meaty mystery/psychological thriller that I can sink my teeth into. Sorry, you cheated yourself into this great read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review- this book sounds awesome! Especially if you had to cheat to finish it! lol. I also really like the cover.

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens sometimes and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this one, but I agree with most of your criticisms too. When I was reading it, in a single day, I was enraptured, and I'm okay suspending disbelief when I'm loving the book. I actually loved the ending, but I can certainly see why some wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!