Book Review: Between by Cyndi Tefft

Summary:
It just figures that the love of Lindsey Water's life isn't alive at all, but the grim reaper, complete with a dimpled smile and Scottish accent.

After transporting souls to heaven for the last 300 years, Aiden MacRae has all but given up on finding the one whose love will redeem him and allow him entry through the pearly gates.

Torn between her growing attraction to Aiden and heaven's siren song, Lindsey must learn the hard way whether love really can transcend all boundaries.
 
Release Date:  April 21, 2011
Publisher:  CreateSpace
Age Group:  Young Adult
Source:  Review copy from author

Review:
What a hidden gem!  I loved Between!  I have to admit that the (very short) summary did not reel me in, but boy, was it a great read.  


Lindsey is a college student riding home with her sort-of boyfriend Raji when they get into a wreck.  She wakes up in a meadow, but she is not alone.  There is a very good-looking Scottish guy in the meadow with her.  Lindsey doesn't have any idea what's going on or who he is, but they become fast friends.  Soon, that friendship develops into something more---but the relationship is doomed because Aiden is there to guide Lindsey to heaven, and they cannot stay together.

Between is a love story, pure and simple.  I loved that about this book!  It's not a heavy story and there's no elaborate world-building to figure out and remember along the way.  Sometimes it's so nice to have a mental break with a book.  It makes the book a true escape, which is the main reason why I read.  When I have to actively work to remember plot points and other details, I can't enjoy a book as much as when I can just relax and enjoy the story.  

I loved the chemistry between Aiden and Lindsey.  It was so sweet without getting overbearing.  I loved the plot twists, which were totally unexpected and a great surprise.  

But my favorite thing about Between was that there were Christian elements to the book.  By that, I mean that Lindsey prayed to God from time to time.  Her prayers were part of her internal dialogue and they were totally natural.  One of my problems with a lot of Christian fiction is that the Christian elements often feel forced.  The book becomes about flowery prayers instead of highlighting the protagonists' relationship with God.  Lindsey is a Christian and believes in heaven, and prays for help when things get rough.  If you don't feel the same personally, don't let it keep you from reading Between.  There was just the right amount of a religious theme without being overbearing.

I loved Between so much.  I found myself looking forward to my reading time even more than usual.  I kept telling my mom and husband, "I can't wait to sit and read a while.  I'm reading the best book!"  I will definitely be on the lookout for another great read by Cyndi Tefft! 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I plan on reading this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful review! I am so glad you enjoyed it! *dances around the room*

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!