Book Review: Twenty-Five Years Ago Today by Stacy Juba

Summary: 
Kris Langley has always been obsessed with murder. She blames herself for the violent death of her cousin when they were kids and has let guilt invade every corner of her existence.
 

Now an editorial assistant and obit writer for a Massachusetts newspaper, Kris stumbles across an unsolved murder while compiling "25 Years Ago Today" items from the microfilm. She grows fascinated with the case of a young cocktail waitress who was bludgeoned to death and dumped in the woods.
 

Determined to solve the case and atone for the death of her cousin, Kris immerses herself in the mystery of what happened to Diana Ferguson, a talented artist who expressed herself through haunting paintings of Greek mythology.
 

Not only does Kris face resistance from her family and her managing editor, she also clashes with Diana's suspicious nephew, Eric Soares - until neither she nor Eric can deny the chemistry flaring between them.
 

Kris soon learns that old news never leaves the morgue and that yesterday's headline is tomorrow's danger, for finding out the truth about that night twenty-five years ago may shatter Kris's present, costing her love, her career, and ultimately, her life.

Release Date:  October 27, 2009
Pages:  262
Age Group:  Adult
Source:  Review copy from author

Review: 
I really enjoyed this mystery.  I liked the writing style, I liked the character development, and I liked the twist at the end, which I was not at all expecting.  The pacing made for a fast read and kept me reading long past when I meant to stop reading!

This book has it all: a great mystery, a sprinkle of romance, family drama, and a woman struggling to build her career.  I love reading about career women trying to balance love, work and family---I guess because I am one of those women, I can really identify with the characters.

Kris, the main character, is new on the job at a newspaper.  She's stuck writing obituaries until she can move up to being a "real" reporter.  Kris' parents don't really approve of her career choices, and are constantly comparing her to her older sister, who is a physician like their mother.  Kris lives under crushing guilt regarding the circumstances surrounding her cousin's death when they were children.  Because of her past, a 25-year old story about an unsolved murder catches her interest.  Kris decides to investigate the story and that's where the book really takes off.

It's nice to read an adult fiction novel that's not full of sex, which was the case here.  I prefer to read about emotions, and Juba does a great job at describing her characters' emotional states.  I really enjoyed this read, and would recommend it to anyone!

Just One Gripe: 
I really can't think of one.

The Best Thing About This Book: 
The surprise at the end.  The person I believed all along to be the killer, was not the killer at all.

Appropriate for a younger audience: 
Maybe.  Parents, read it first and then decide.

Score: 
Characters:  4/5
Plot: 4/5
Setting/Imagery:  4/5
Originality: 4/5
Ending: 4/5
Total Score:  20/25




3 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one even though I don't really read adult books (which is strange because I am an adult haha) Great review! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I DO like surprise endings. Hmm...I might have to consider reading this one. I haven't heard of it before, so thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a good book! new follower! love the blog!

    follow me?!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!