Book Review: Bloodfever (Fever Series #2) by Karen Marie Moning

Summary: 
I used to think my sister and I were just two nice southern girls who'd get married in a few years and settle down to a quiet life. Then I discovered that Alina and I descend, not from good wholesome southern stock, but from an ancient Celtic bloodline of powerful sidhe-seers, people who can see the Fae. Not only can I see the terrifying otherworldly race, but I can sense the sacred Fae relics that hold the deadliest of their magic.
When my sister was found dead in a trash-filled alley in Dublin, I came over to get answers. Now all I want is revenge. And after everything I've learned about myself, I know I have the power to get it....

MacKayla Lane's ordinary life underwent a complete makeover when she landed on Ireland's shores and was plunged into a world of deadly sorcery and ancient secrets.

In her fight to stay alive, Mac must find the Sinsar Dubh-a million-year-old book of the blackest magic imaginable, which holds the key to power over both the worlds of the Fae and of Man. Pursued by Fae assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she cannot trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and irresistible men: V'lane, the insatiable Fae who can turn sensual arousal into an obsession for any woman, and the ever-inscrutable Jericho Barrons, a man as alluring as he is mysterious.

For centuries the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them....



Review: 
Whoa.  I was not sold on the Fever series after reading book one, Darkfever.  I enjoyed Darkfever but didn't love it.  After finishing book two, Bloodfever, I'm officially hooked.  I can't tell you how happy I am to have discovered this series, thanks to The Book Vixen, now that the series is complete.  No waiting to find out what happens for me!

I was not wowed by Darkfever, but Bloodfever definitely impressed me.  I told my husband, "I like this book.  It's making me happy!"  That is something I haven't been able to say about too many books lately.  I have very little patience with books lately and am more likely to drop books if they aren't really grabbing me.  But, Bloodfever grabbed me and wouldn't let go.  The cliffhanger ending only made me more excited to start book three.

I have read some complaints about the lack of sex in this series.  I have the feeling Moning is going to make us wait for it, and I really like that about an author.  I can't stand it when characters jump immediately into bed together.  I like the build-up of a relationship, I think it makes things much more meaningful if/when they do occur.  Wondering who Mac will choose or end up with has been one of my favorite parts of this series so far.  I've really enjoyed reading an adult paranormal series that is NOT a romance novel. 

Just One Gripe: 
Every serial novel has the review of the previous book(s) at some point.  Usually the review is close to the beginning of the novel.  Most times the summary of previous events does not bother me, in fact, it is useful when its been a while since you read the previous book.  However, Bloodfever had several "review sections," and references to book one spread throughout the entire book.  I kept thinking, "enough already---I get it!" One of my biggest reading pet peeves is when authors keep telling me the same thing over and over.  If something happens, I'm usually going to remember it and don't need multiple reminders.  There were multiple reminders as to the events in Darkfever spread throughout Bloodfever and I got tired of them.

The Best Thing About This Book: 
I knew I was liking this book when I sat at the table and read for about thirty minutes after finishing my meal.  I have not been reading as much as I used to lately (I have the pregnancy nesting phase to thank for that) and for me to choose reading over cleaning right now is a big deal.  So I'd have to say my favorite part of the book is the plot and pace.  It kept me interested the entire time.

Appropriate for a younger audience: 
No

Score: 
Characters: 4/5
Plot: 5/5
Setting/Imagery: 5/5
Originality: 4/5
Ending: 5/5
Total Score:  23/25






4 comments:

  1. Kelli, Believe me when I say I totally feel you on the "I get it" part. Unfortunately that trend continues. The final book is chock full of review sections.

    The review sections are the main reason why I thought book one was completely unnecessary.

    Still the series is powerfully addicting. I blame Barrons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really must try this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I'm almost done with book 4 and I know exactly who you feel about this series. It definitely hooked me and I've enjoyed the ride.

    Build up of a relationship, especially when there is serious tension, is exactly what makes sex scenes so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, the more I read your reviews/thoughts the more I know we are meant to be reading friends. You are right, about characters and sex. I tend to lose interest if they have sex to soon. AND I hate being"reviewed" to death when reading.

    However, you have me sold, I'm reading this series. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!