Book Review: Strange Bedpersons by Jennifer Crusie

Summary: 
Tess Newhart knows her ex-boyfriend Nick Jamieson isn't the right guy for her. He's caviar and champagne, she's take-out Chinese pot stickers. He's an uptight Republican lawyer, she was raised in a commune and thinks Cinderella is politically incorrect. He wants to get ahead in business, she just wants . . . him -- only not the social-climbing Nick, but the sweet, caring, unbuttoned-down Nick.  


And Nick wants her, too, but there's no way Tess is about to play second fiddle to his obsession to make partner. Yet somehow she finds herself agreeing to play his fiancée for a weekend business trip that could make or break Nick's career. And while he's wrapped up in convincing Tess that he needs her in his respectable world, Tess is doing her best to keep her left-wing opinions to herself and her hands off Nick.

Review: 
This was the second Jennifer Crusie book I've read and I liked Bet Me better than Strange Bedpersons.  There's just something the way Crusie describes the chase between a man and a woman that I really like.

But, I did not like the characters in this book.  They felt so flat to me, and some of them were downright stereotypical.  I just can't identify with a woman who prizes threadbare clothes and wants to have sex on top of a piano during an open house.  It's just not my style, I guess.   

Strange Bedpersons was fine while it lasted, but it's a strictly fun, fluffy book.  There's nothing about this story that will stick with me for very long.  I would recommend it to fans of romance novels only. 

Just One Gripe: 
I just could not identify with the characters.  

The Best Thing About This Book: 
Even with the problems I had with this book, I still love reading about people falling in love.

Appropriate for a younger audience: 
No

Score:
Characters: 2/5
Plot: 2/5
Setting/Imagery: 2/5
Originality: 2/5
Ending: 3/5
Total Score:  11/25





2 comments:

  1. Flat characters completely kill a book for me, so I probably won't be picking this up any time soon. Thanks for your honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. O I hate when that happens. Thanks for your honesty :)

    At least the cover is cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!