Book Review: Lover Mine by JR Ward (Black Dagger Brotherhood #8)

Summary:
In the darkest corners of the night in Caldwell, New York, a conflict like no other rages. Long divided as a terrifying battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the city is home to a band of brothers born to defend their race: the warrior vampires of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

John Matthew has come a long way since he was found living among humans, his vampire nature unknown to himself and to those around him. After he was taken in by the Brotherhood, no one could guess what his true history was- or his true identity. Indeed, the fallen Brother Darius has returned, but with a different face and a very different destiny. As a vicious personal vendetta takes John into the heart of the war, he will need to call up on both who he is now and who he once was in order to face off against evil incarnate.

Xhex, a symphath assassin, has long steeled herself against the attraction between her and John Matthew. Having already lost one lover to madness, she will not allow the male of worth to fall prey to the darkness of her twisted life. When fate intervenes, however, the two discover that love, like destiny, is inevitable between soul mates.
 
Review:
Another good installment in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.  This was not my favorite book in the series, but maybe my second favorite.  Lover Avenged (book 7) was my favorite as far as the plot and storyline.  However, this book tells John Matthew's story and he is one of my favorite characters.  John Matthew really grows up in this book and the relationship between him and Tohrment is finally resolved.  The war against the "lessers" (Ward's bad guys) continues and gets pretty graphic.  In fact, I think Lover Mine had more gore than any of the previous books.  I hope that that does not continue.  Some of it got pretty nasty. 


I like how each of Ward's books in this series focus on one character but still have side stories going on at the same time (such as Payne, Qhuinn, and Blaylock).  I hope that her next book tells Qhuinn's story, but from what I can gather from Internet chatter it will be about Payne.  I'm sure it will still be good and I'll keep reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood, even though I feel like I need to repent after getting through one of these books.  There's just that much language, gore, and sex in this series.

Just One Gripe:
The language.  Seriously, I think Ward could have her characters get their point across without all the f-bombs.

The Best Thing About This Book:
I love a book that contains two stories running parallel to each other. 

Appropriate for a younger audience:
Oh, no.  Language, sex, murder, and the inclusion of The Omega (Ward's version of the devil) make this totally inappropriate for younger readers.


Score:
Characters:  4/5
Plot:  5/5
Setting/Imagery:  4/5
Originality:  4/5
Ending:  4/5
Total Score:  21/25

 


Read First:

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review. This was probably my second favorite also because I loved the transformation of Xhex in this book. I didn't like her very much until this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and me too. I really started liking her during this book. I'm DYING for the next installment in this series! I love Blay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't read the review since I still have to read this one but I'm so excited for JM/Xhex and Q/B! :)

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!