Book Review: Black Magic Sanction (Rachel Morgan #8) by Kim Harrison

Summary:
Rachel Morgan has fought and hunted vampires, werewolves, banshees, demons, and other supernatural dangers as both witch and bounty hunter--and lived to tell the tale. But she's never faced off against her own kind . . . until now. Denounced and shunned for dealing with demons and black magic, her best hope is life imprisonment--at worst, a forced lobotomy and genetic slavery. Only her enemies are strong enough to help her win her freedom, but trust comes hard when it hinges on the unscrupulous tycoon Trent Kalamack, the demon Algaliarept, and an ex-boyfriend turned thief.

Review:
This was the best Rachel Morgan book yet! I felt that White Witch Black Curse was a little slow or maybe it was just that Rachel was down and depressed for a lot of the book. She finally accepts herself for who she is in this book, which is nice. The denial was getting old.

Nick's true nature is finally revealed, which we suspected all along but it was nice to FINALLY have Rachel get it. I love the drama surrounding Trent, I can't help feeling that Trent secretly likes Rachel.

And let's not forget Al. I started to sense Rachel's grudging respect for him in book 7 and it is confirmed here. She treats him like an equal whereas others treat him like the demon that he is. I think that Al likes Rachel too and like Ivy, hopes for her to redeem him somehow. Don't ask me how, it's just a hunch.

I really missed hearing more about Ceri. A spinoff series focusing on Ceri and the elves would be great. I'd love to read about her and Quen and the baby.

I'm so happy that the should we or shouldn't we dilemma between Rachel and Ivy seems to be resolved. I was getting tired of hearing how great the vamp phermones are...

Can't wait for the next Rachel Morgan book!  Now that I've read them all I'm going to have to wait for the next one to be released...
 
Just One Gripe:
I really can't think of one, this was a great book.
 
The Best Thing About This Book:
Everything! 

Appropriate for a younger audience:
Most definitely not.


Score:
Characters:  5/5
Plot:  5/5
Setting/Imagery:  4/5
Originality:  5/5
Ending:  5/5
Total Score:  24/25

 


Read First:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!