Book Review: The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling

Summary:
Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon, and has never worn a cloak of invisibility.

All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley--a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years.

But all of that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry--and anyone who reads about him--will find unforgettable.

For it's there that he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter.
   
Review:
I read this series last year at the urging of a friend.  He insisted that I would like them, and to my intense surprise, I really did!  I had put off reading them because I thought they would be too "kiddie" for a 29 year old.  The first three books are more on a children's level, in my opinion, and I thought them to be pretty simple.  However, after book four the series really starts to take off.  If you've seen the movies but not read the books, know that the books are MUCH better (seriously, when is that not the case?).  By the fifth book I couldn't put them down, and book seven was outstanding.  There's a reason why these books have been a worldwide phenomenon---JK Rowling is an excellent story teller.
 
Just One Gripe:
The ending of book seven was too spare.  I wanted to hear more about them as grown-ups!
 
The Best Thing About This Series:
The originality.

Appropriate for a younger audience:
Yes
 
Score:
Characters:  4/5
Plot:  5/5
Setting/Imagery:  5/5
Originality:  5/5
Ending:  4/5
Total Score:  23/25

 


Also Recommended:

5 comments:

  1. i cant believe i haven't reviewed this series ! adore it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, they are so well-written. She did a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The ending of book seven was too spare. I wanted to hear more about them as grown-ups!"

    Yeah, I wanted too:) Guess what, there's more. Go to www.jkrowling.com, the author has posted there some details about what their lives as grown-ups would be, in the Extra Stuff section.
    There's some other bits on the site, that were left out of the books. Really interesting for a die hard fan. Like myself:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Dovile! I'm going there now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. and can you believe she came up with these stories in a pub, or was it a coffee house *scratches head* no matter, they are still great. I hated how they came out slowly though, i had to always re-read the previous book when the new one comes out like a year after. but JK Rowling is still epic for these series!

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!