Book Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Summary:
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.


With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Review:
I expected so much more from this book after reading many stellar reviews.  Boy was I surprised to start this book and have to force myself to finish it!  I read at least two books per week, and if I don't want to read something, it's bad.  Where does the title even come from?  It's never once referenced in the book and makes absolutely no sense. 

Hush, Hush is a poorly executed Twilight rip-off.  Now I'm all for a good Twilight knock-off every once in a while.  If you're wanting a story along those lines read Shiver by Maggie Steifvater.  After finishing Hush, Hush I have a few questions:

Will someone please tell me how Nora goes from hating Patch/being scared of him/avoiding him to falling in love with him a few pages later? He tells her he tried to kill her and she inexplicably says, "I know Patch would never hurt me." Huh?

To all the Twilight haters, at least Bella Swan knows what she wants and clings to it stubbornly the whole time. She knows Edward is dangerous but decides her love for him trumps the danger. Nora is constantly changing her mind based on vapid feelings and invalid facts and/or observations.

The language and writing are nonsensical at times. I had to reread certain passages because I just couldn't believe what I was reading. There is nothing to recommend Patch to me. I just don't like him, or Nora either.

Oh, and one last gripe: it is totally inappropriate for young girls. Becca Fitzpatrick is sending a terrible message to teens and should be reprimanded. As much as I hate to not finish a series, I will not be reading Crescendo, which is the sequel to Hush, Hush.

Just One Gripe:
The worst thing about Hush, Hush is the nonsensical relationship between Nora and Patch.

The Best Thing About This Book:
The cover.

Appropriate for a younger audience:
Yes, although it teaches girls the wrong lesson.


Score:
Characters:  2/5
Plot:  1/5
Setting/Imagery:  1/5
Originality:  1/5
Ending:  2/5
Total Score:  7/25





Read instead:













6 comments:

  1. Oh oh oh... I loved the cover and I have this book lined up for July 2010. I will go into it now with some trepidation since I had HUGE expectations... will proceed with care now.

    PK Reeves
    Aisle B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PK! Thanks for stopping by! I loved the cover too. I also had high expectations as everyone else seems to love this book. It just wasn't for me, I didn't like Patch at all and I didn't like his and Nora's relationship. Maybe you will feel differently, let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely and utterly agree with you! Let me tell you that you are NOT ALONE. I have read some pretty slamming reviews of this book, but one that you should really check out is Bad Romance (or, YA & Rape Culture) - it is everything you wish people were saying about this book.

    Anyhow, nice to see someone else who didn't like Hush, Hush!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I just read the Bad Romance article, WOW. Finally, someone gets it! Thank you Kay for sharing that with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked this one up because I'd seen all the hype and because I loved the cover so much but like you I was disappointed. I recently received a copy of Crescendo for review & I'm feeling very nervous about reading it - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be better than Hush, Hush was lol. I've added your link to my review :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I really didn't like this book at all. I had to put it down several times including the "action packed climax". The only great thing about it is the cover and the prologue. Completely agree with your review.

    ReplyDelete

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!